Our BRC is underpinned by a commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion in research. To achieve this we have set the following objectives which are reviewed on an annual basis.
- We will continue to adhere to and support equality charters which include the Athena SWAN Charter and Race Equality Charter.
- We have committed to support new research initiatives to help measure our performance on equality, diversity and inclusion. This includes monitoring diversity data on applications and awards for each of our research and training programmes each year.
- We will also record the constitution of the committees, boards and groups that advise our work and the diversity of our own workforce.
- We will track changes over time as we strive to be more inclusive.
- We will support initiatives to involve a more diverse range of patients, public and communities and track improvements in line with our funder, the NIHR.
Gender equity in research
Researchers in the Oxford BRC’s core management team have conducted a number of studies around gender equity in research.
They found, for example, that linking research funding to Athena SWAN action plans was associated with a rise in the number of women in mid-level leadership positions and the proportion of funding going to women.
Networks are a way to get to know people with a shared interest and to feel connected and have a sense of belonging.
Find out more about the staff networks supported by the University of Oxford’s Equality and Diversity Unit.
Find out about the staff networks and Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.