Application for a role or membership to the Oxford Biomedical Research Centre (Oxford BRC) Patient and Public Involvement and Engagement (PPIE) Group and Diversity in Research Group
Oxford BRC is part of Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
In the course of completing an application or membership form you have provided information about yourself (‘personal data’). We (Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust) are the ‘data controller’ for this information, which means we decide how to use it and are responsible for looking after it in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and associated data protection legislation.
What is the purpose of this document?
We use your data to assess your application and/ or to register you as a member of the Oxford BRC PPI Group.
This notice applies to anyone that registers and contributes to patient and public involvement activities with Oxford BRC.
How we use your data
We need to process your data to register you as a member of the Oxford BRC PPIE group in order to meet our legitimate interests in recruiting public members to be involved in PPIE activities.
We will only use your data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another related reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your data for an unrelated purpose, we will seek your consent to use it for that new purpose.
Who will have access to your data
Access to your data within Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust will be provided to those who need to view it as part of their work in carrying out the purposes described above.
Where we store your data
We store data manually or electronically and take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal data is treated securely.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to the website and any transmission is at your own risk.
Your data will be held securely in accordance with Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust policies and procedures. Further information is available on Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust privacy notice.
Retaining your data
We will only retain your data for as long as we need it to meet our purposes, including any relating to legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
When we collect your data
The majority of your data is collected when:
- You register as a potential PPIE member
- You apply for a PPIE opportunity
- Correspond with us by phone e-mail or otherwise
Types of data we collect about you
We only collect data necessary for the purposes of our processing. We will collect, store and use the following data you give to us:
- Information provided by you such as your name, address and contact details, including email address and telephone number.
- details of our ongoing relationship and your involvement with us
- skills you would like to practice or offer and your motivations for wanting to join the PPIE group
- your photograph if you attend an event and consent to photos being taken.
- records of your involvement in PPIE activities arranged by Oxford BRC
- bank details to process expense claims
- records of interaction with us (for example by email)
- feedback obtained from you during your involvement activities
Sensitive and personal information
Certain types of information are sensitive, for example health information and genetic data. We will only collect and process this type of information about you if we have a valid reason for doing so.
How we use your data
We collect your data so that we can process it for one or more of the following reasons:
- To process the data and enter into a relationship with you as a member of the Oxford BRC PPIE Group and to meet our obligations to you, for example to pay travel expenses.
- To send you information about training opportunities, involvement opportunities, or to contact you in relation to ongoing PPI activities.
- We may use information relating to your health to help us identify and assess your potential suitability for different PPI activities.
- Where we process special categories of personal data, such as information about ethnic origin, sexual orientation, health, employment status, and gender, this is done for the purpose of equal opportunities and monitoring the make-up and diversity of our PPI members.
The legal basis for processing your data
We will only use your personal data where the law allows us to do so. Most commonly we rely on the following legal bases for processing your personal data:
- Performing a contract: information processed for this purpose includes, but is not limited to, the information you provide when you register to be a PPIE member, information you provide when you apply for a PPIE role.
Right to withdraw consent
When you consent to us processing your personal information for a specific purpose, you can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at GetInvolvedOBRC@ouh.nhs.uk.
If you wish to raise any queries or concerns about our use of your data, please contact us at GetInvolvedOBRC@ouh.nhs.uk.
If you want to exercise any of the rights described in the link or are dissatisfied with the way we have used your information, you should contact the Oxford University Hospitals Information Governance Team on: Information.Governance@ouh.nhs.uk.